Q: What Services are Included in the Phrase "Family Law"? Family Law includes the following types of legal matters:
- Child Custody (aka "Paternity")
- Protective Orders
- Grandparent Visitation
- Modification of an existing custody, visitation (parent-time), child support or alimony orders
Q: What do I Need to Know Right Now About Divorce?It is often said that the decision to divorce a spouse, whether the marriage was of short or long duration, is one most difficult and stressful decisions a person will ever have to make. Successfully navigating the divorce court process requires clear thinking, experience and time, as the outcome will have an effect on the lives of children, parents and even grandparents for years to come. If you are considering filing for divorce, some pre-planning now can benefit your during the divorce process. Please consider the following:
- If custody is an issue, can you provide of your involvement with your children?
- If child support is an issue, can you demonstrate the incomes of both parents?
- If alimony is an issue, what are the parties realistic incomes and expenses?
- If you or your spouse own a small business, do you have the records necessary to demonstrate the income earned from this business?
- Have you put together a list of marital assets and debts?
- What is your budget for attorney's fees or is there a source which can be used to pay for those fees?
Q: How Does the Divorce Litigation Process Compare to Other Matters?The divorce litigation process is nearly identical to the litigation process in any other civil litigation, with one exception in divorce and other Family Law cases the parties have the ability to seek temporary orders. Temporary Orders are orders that last during the pendency of the Family Law case. Other than this exception, each divorce case proceeds with the following steps: (a) filing of a Complaint or Petition, (b) filing of an Answer and perhaps a Counterclaim, (c) completion of Discovery, (d) scheduling and attending a Pretrial, and (e) scheduling and attending a Trial. For a more complete discussion of the litigation process see the "Overview of the Litigation Process" tab of our website.
It is at this critical juncture, before the litigation process even starts, that the advise of a seasoned professional, such as the attorneys at TR Spencer & Associates, P.C., can be most beneficial to you, the potential client. The staff and attorneys at TR Spencer & Associates, P.C., have significant experience in divorce litigation and can help you get through this process with a minimum of stress. Please call so that we can discuss the unique facts of your case.