Skip to main content
What to Do If Your Ex Isn't Following a Custody Agreement

What to Do If Your Ex Isn't Following a Custody Agreement

Divorce and separation are undoubtedly challenging experiences, especially when children are involved. Establishing a custody agreement is a crucial step in ensuring the well-being of your children, providing a framework for shared responsibilities. However, what do you do when your ex isn't following the agreed-upon custody arrangement? In this blog post, we'll explore the steps you can take to address and resolve issues when your ex isn't adhering to the custody agreement.

Communication is Key

Start by attempting to communicate with your ex in a calm and collected manner. Misunderstandings or changes in circumstances may be the reason behind the deviation from the custody agreement. Open dialogue can help clarify issues and find common ground.

Document Everything

Keep a detailed record of each instance where your ex deviates from the custody agreement. Document dates, times, and any relevant information regarding the situation. This documentation can serve as crucial evidence should legal intervention become necessary.

Seek Mediation

If direct communication fails to resolve the issue, consider seeking mediation. A neutral third party, such as a mediator, can help facilitate a conversation between you and your ex. Mediation aims to find mutually agreeable solutions and can be a less adversarial alternative to legal proceedings.

Consult Your Attorney

Reach out to your family law attorney. They can provide legal advice tailored to your specific situation and guide you on the appropriate steps to take. Your attorney can help you understand your rights and options, and they may send a formal letter to your ex, urging compliance with the custody agreement.

File a Motion with the Court

If all else fails, you may need to file a motion with the court to enforce the custody agreement. Your family law attorney can help you prepare the necessary documentation and represent your interests in court. Judges take non-compliance with custody agreements seriously, and the court can enforce the terms of the agreement or modify it based on the circumstances.

Stay Focused on the Child's Best Interests

"Throughout the process, prioritize the best interests of your child. Courts typically make decisions based on the welfare of the child, so demonstrate your commitment to fostering a healthy and stable environment for them."

-Darla (OCAP)

In Conclusion

Deviations from a custody agreement can be emotionally distressing, but proactive and strategic actions can help resolve these issues. At TR Spencer Law, we are dedicated to assisting families facing such challenges in Northern Utah. If your ex isn't following the custody agreement, don't hesitate to reach out to our experienced family law attorneys for guidance and support. We are here to navigate the legal complexities and advocate for the well-being of you and your children during this difficult time.

custody, family law, divorce, custody arrangement, child custody, joint custody, family court, custody lawyer, child custody schedule, custody agreement