April 09, 2014
Adoption creates a parent/child relationship with all the rights and responsibilities associated with that type of relationship.  Adoption also severs any previously existing parent/child relationship. The new parent/child relationship can only be formed by the court. You will need to appear before the court to sign a written statement saying that you will act in all regards as the parent of the child and that you will also take on all   of the responsibilities of parenthood.
In order to adopt, you must be an adult who is married with permission from your spouse, or single and not cohabitation with another person. In addition, the person/child  that you plan to adopt must be at least 10 years younger than you. The court will look at the best interests of the child in making their determination as to whether they will allow you to adopt. The court may also order the Department of Child and Family Services (DCFS) to investigate and make a report to the court. 
Consent must be obtained. Any person or institution whose consent is required (see below) must be given at least thirty (30) days notice.  Although not complete, some examples of people who might need to be notified are:
  • anyone who has filed a paternity action for the child and filed a notice of that action with the Department of Vital Statistics;
  • any legally appointed guardian or custodian;
  • your spouse, if applicable;
  • a parent listed on the birth certificate; and
  • a person who lives with the child and acts like the child’s parent.
Except as noted below, you will generally have to get written consent from at least one person.  Although a person may not give consent until the child is at least 24 hours old.  Consent may be given in front of a judge or given to an adoption agency. Once signed, consent cannot be revoked. As you might expect, the list of who may have to consent is very similar to the list of those you must notify and include the following:
  • the person being adopted if he or she is over 12 years of age and mentally competent;
  • both parents of a minor child if born within a marriage;
  • the mother of a minor child if born outside of a marriage, and the father if:
  • a court has ruled that he is the father,
  • he has filed a voluntary declaration of paternity prior to the mother signing the consent of adoption,
  • he has developed a strong relationship with the child and has taken some responsibility and/or shown some commitment for the child, or
  • he has lived with the child for 6 months within the child’s first year and acted as though the child was his own.
  • the adoption agency.
If someone does not agree with the adoption, they have a right to fight it.  In order to do so, they must inform the court either by appearing at the hearing or by filing a written statement of their concerns within 30 days of being served notice of the adoption.

Adoption Requires Proper Notice To An Unwed Father

December 19, 2016

Adoption Requires Proper Notice to an Unwed FatherBecause the mother did not precisely follow Utah statutory requirements of parental notice of adoption, an unwed father has gained another opportunity to contest the adoption of his child, even though the adoption has already taken place.

Child Adoption Laws in Utah

July 12, 2017
Child Adoption Laws in Utah

Each state sets regulations for adoptions that occur within its jurisdiction. These rules determine who can be an adoptive parent, who is adoptable, and how proceedings occur. Utah has its own specific laws regarding adoption which are codified at Utah Code 78B, Chapter 6, Part 1. Here, we will look at some of the important aspects of the Utah Adoption Act.

Are You Fit to Become a Foster Parent?

January 24, 2019
Are You Fit to Become a Foster Parent?

Foster parents play an important role in society. Anyone who becomes a foster parent undertakes a huge responsibility. They care for minors that have become dependents of the state government. As part of their role, foster parents provide a clean, safe home for these children.

Stepparents Versus Biological Parents: Whose Right is It?

December 18, 2019
Stepparents Versus Biological Parents: Whose Right is It?

In today's world, family units come in all different sizes and variations. Due to the prevalence of divorces, any given home may be occupied by a step-parent. Many remarried couples have to deal with child rearing issues involving their non-biological children. However, what rights do these step-parents have over the upbringing of such a child?

Do Unmarried Fathers Have a Right to Object to Adoptions?

February 23, 2021
Do Unmarried Fathers Have a Right to Object to Adoptions?

Situations can arise where one parent wants to put a child up for adoption without the other's consent. In one particular scenario, an unwed mother may consider doing so for a wide variety of reasons. The father of the child may object to this, but is unsure whether he has any rights in the process. This is a complex situation that likely requires the help of a custody lawyer. However, there are some general guidelines for fathers in this situation. Learn what type of parental rights may be maintained by a biological father in the face of adoption.