Making an Out of State Accident Claim My Require Some Extra Legwork

Making an Out of State Accident Claim My Require Some Extra Legwork

A short road trip to a neighboring state or traveling across country should be an enjoyable experience for you and your passengers. Even if you get a vehicle safety inspection, are prepared with a roadside assistance plan, and obey the traffic laws, it’s hard to predict if or when an auto accident will happen.

What happens if you have and auto accident while driving outside of Utah?

Your auto insurance policy covers you wherever you drive in the U.S. If you are hit by a motorist in another state, it helps to know what laws protect you and pertain to your ability to seek car accident damages. Under the no fault insurance clause, Utah state codes allow you to receive compensation from your auto insurer in many cases. However, there are exceptions that allow you to seek damages from the at-fault driver and their insurance company no matter where the accident takes place. Determining who to seek damages from will depend on whether the accident occurred in a no-fault state, and whether the driver at fault was uninsured or underinsured.

What to Do Immediately After an Accident

  • The first thing to do is seek immediate medical treatment for your injuries. Don’t wait until your back home in Utah.
  • Next, make a report with the local authorities. Get names of witnesses and information from the other driver, or a copy of the police report if possible. If possible, take pictures of the accident scene, vehicle damage, and your injuries.
  • If your car needs to be towed and fixed at a local repair shop, find out if your insurance or other travel memberships will cover towing, pay for a loaner car, or provide discounts on repair service.
  • Finally, gather as much documentation as you can, including hospital records, towing and repair bills. Document any additional and unplanned expenses you incur such as lodging and transportation.

What to Do Once You’re Back in Utah

Seek legal advice from a local attorney before attempting to make a claim either with your insurance company or with the out-of-state driver’s auto insurer. You’ll want to make sure that you can recover damages to your vehicle and personal injuries whether the at-fault driver is insured or uninsured. Contact the office of T.R. Spencer Law Office. for a case review and legal representation.

Tags: personal injury, auto accident, out of state accident

  • Home
  • Blog
  • Making an Out of State Accident Claim My Require Some Extra Legwork